ADOPTIONS WITH TRAINING:
**All of our dogs over 30 pounds, that are healthy, non-senior, non-special needs and are not going into immediate training with a service dog trainer must complete a training program with their families.
Why? Because we want each of our dogs and their families to be safe and happy together. We want to know that if a leash slips off, or someone leaves a door open, or a squirrel comes by that your dog will not run off and get hurt, lost or worse. The goal of our program is peace of mind for the families that adopt our dogs and a happy, active life for our dogs with their families.
- 28 Day OFF LEASH ULTIMATE TRAINING program $937.50 (dogs that will complete our full service training program normally priced $1749; includes 20% off boarding for life, private lessons for life, 24/7 support, remote training collar) – READ MORE ABOUT THIS TRAINING PROGRAM
- 28 Day OFF LEASH EXPRESS program $699.00 (dogs that will complete our full service training program normally priced $999; includes 20% off boarding for life, private lessons for life, 24/7 support, remote training collar) – READ MORE ABOUT THIS TRAINING PROGRAM
ADOPTIONS WITHOUT TRAINING:
- Small Breed without training (dogs under 30 pounds, fenced yard required) $350
- Senior or Special Needs Adoptable $200 or negotiable based on dog and home (older dogs or dogs with special needs, fenced yard usually required)
- Service Dog Candidates $450 (dogs leaving our program and immediately entering service dog training; requires meeting with trainer)
- HOMEBUDDIES $FREE (INCLUDES our 14 day OFF LEASH EXPRESS program, valued at $999; difficult to place dogs that may have behavior issues that have not been responsive to training, but will still make great companions when matched with the right home; only expense is the cost of a remote training collar at $200) – READ MORE ABOUT THIS TRAINING PROGRAM
OUR ADOPTION PROCESS
- Complete our adoption application (PDF Version | Word DOC Version). It usually takes our volunteers just 1-2 business days to process your application.
- Once you are approved, we will set up a visit (by appointment please so that we can be available for you) to our facility to visit with the dogs that meet your preferences based on your application. You can visit more than once if you need more time to help choose a new companion.
- Once you select your companion, we may do a home visit.
- We complete an adoption contract. Dogs that are not receiving formal training can go home at this time.
- For dogs adopted through a training program, we do 2-3 visits/lessons, with the last being the day you take your new pup home. This time frame and the lessons can vary by dog and adoptive individual and family. They can be affected by weather and holidays, but we work hard to get your dogs home as quickly as possible, while completing the training lessons that are important to your new dog and your family.
FOR ADOPTIONS RECEIVING OUR FULL SERVICE TRAINING PROGRAM:
THIS IS **NOT** your typical “pet store” or group class training. The result is a dog that you can enjoy in any setting and know that it’s safe and a pleasure for everyone it visits with. You will be able to run, bike, hike, camp, garden and just plain relax with a dog that isn’t going to run off or cause trouble.
With the exception of seniors and special needs dogs, all of our adoptables receive either our “14 Day Express” or “28 Day Ultimate Off Leash” training program, which are available to the general public.
If you are adopting a puppy, they will go home with you and then come back around 6-8 months to complete their training.
Our training program includes behavior training, socialization and obedience training. When dogs complete our program, they will walk with you both on leash and off, we have addressed any manners/behavior issues that would cause problems in their new homes and they will come when called reliably off leash. Some dogs do have lingering issues that we fully disclose — the most common is dogs that can jump 4′ fences (which is probably why they ended up in the shelter in the first place!).
When you come out for lessons, our typical lessons are: 1) leash walking, 2) gate and door manners, 3) coming when called to all family members and sitting upon arrival, 4) going for a walk off-leash with family and staying safely in the general area and returning immediately when called.
Your new dog is ready to go home when we’ve completed the lessons and both you and we are confident and comfortable with your new pup’s relationship and response to you and your family.
Our adoptions with full service training include a dog that is:
- Spayed or neutered
- Current on all vaccinations
- Clear of parasites (heartworm, flea, tick, worms, etc.)
- Current on all parasite prevention (heartworm and flea/tick prevention)
- On a high-quality food (Merrick Whole Earth Farms)
- Fully assessed for temperament and behavior
- Crate trained
- Fully trained through either our “14 Day Express” or “28 Day Off Leash” training program (normally $999 and $1749 respectively) — for dogs eligible for training
These adoptions also include:
- Private lessons prior to adoption and UNLIMITED private lessons as needed once adoption is complete (for dogs that have completed training)
- 20% off boarding at our home-based facility for LIFE
- Unlimited access to us for advice and assistance for ANYTHING you need in relationship to your adopted dog
The nature of our rescue program requires that dogs are with us typically 2-3 months from the time we take them into our program. During this time, they are living in and around our home with a variety of other dogs, cats, cows, people and general activity. We are assessing them 24/7 so that we know them very well and can confidently help you make the perfect match for a new companion. And we are training them daily (once they are happy and healthy) to prepare them for adoption.
We understand that some people are shocked by this adoption fee. Please understand that this is NOT about making money. We care for 70 or more dogs in our program on a daily basis. All of our dogs are here typically 2-3 or more times longer than most rescues in other programs. We feed them high quality food, administer parasite prevention and provide food, toys, bedding, crates and a staff that helps care for them while we assess their behavior and temperament and conduct training. ALL of the proceeds from our adoptions go directly back to our rescue program. NONE of the adoption fee goes to us for training or boarding.
Our adoption fee for the 28 Day Off Leash (which was our only program at the time we started the rescue) was set by taking a traditional adoption fee of $250 and then adding our commercial training program at half price (687.50 back in 2009). We originally offered the training as an option. Almost every adopter did the training. The few that didn’t were calling with behavior and training issues. We felt that there is a value to our training, both to the adopter, but even more importantly to the dog. We want our dogs to be LOVED and to become INSEPARABLE members of the family. We don’t want them to cause stress or frustration. So in early 2011, we decided that all of our rescues would be trained.
We hope that most people can see the value in the training and we encourage you to come out to visit and see the training in action if you are a potential adopter that’s skeptical or on the fence. This is not traditional sit/stay training. This is training that will give you a well-balanced dog that is a pleasure 24/7. They are not little robots and they are not 100% without fault. But when you have a dog that you can travel with, hang out with, go to the mailbox with and that your friends and family can enjoy, we know that we’ve done our job by matching you with a dog that’s a true companion and not just a pet…
For more information, please email us.
Our HomeBuddies adoptions require strict screening and matching. These adoptions focus on dogs that are well-behaved and loving, but may have specific issues that have not responded to training. Some examples include socialization issues with other dogs or not being able to be around small children (not aggressive, but reactive to things like grabbing or quick jerky movements). These are loving dogs that deserve a chance at a forever home, but that will require special homes (i.e. no children, no other dogs, etc.). They each do include our 14 Day Off Leash Express program and the only expense is the cost of a remote collar that comes with the program (approx $200).
READ MORE ABOUT OUR: